spoon

Lightning at my finger tips

Category: ,

It’s around 11.30 PM on a weekday. As usual I am at home with my laptop open to browse through the internet with my LG flatron running parallel with something on the discovery channel. Its about the time for me to go to sleep. All of a sudden whole of the world around me goes dark. The laptop screen turns bright to little dull and I realize it’s a power cut.
Beginning of the last power cut for the day for an hour. This has been the scenario from a quite a while these days in Bangalore. Every day offers you 4-5 hours of load shedding officially and many 15-20 min power cuts in between. It’s hard to imagine the fate of smaller cities or villages in the state when the capital of the state itself has such a situation with power. It’s hard to accept power cut since it’s just the end of the winter and summer hasn't started yet. I would have never thought a power cut at such an odd time of the day could mean anything great to me but there was something in store in that darkness. Since it was already time to bed and not much battery power left in my laptop I decided to switch it off. It took almost a minute to shutdown. I got up from the chair and started taking steps in complete darkness now, since even the little light from the laptop was gone. I wasn't sure of where my cell phone was to use it for my help. I slowly started moving like a blind person dragging my feet on the floor just to make sure I didn't bump into the furniture or to the TV. I could have directly gone to my room but wanted to reach the TV, just to make sure I turned the main switch off, since it was still on when the power went off. This was the moment when I realized one of the best experiences of the day. Just by chance my fingers stretched little ahead from my body touched the flat screen of the flatron. I was able to see the little sparks of light coming from the junction of my finger tip and the TV screen. It was not an electric shock but just a little discharge of charges from the TV screen. It’s the same scenario when the charges reach to the earth through a lightning. TV being on for a long time the static charges that was on the surface of the flat screen found me to be a medium to get discharged and reach the ground. The whole incident excited me and I started moving my fingers all across the screen and was able to witness the same scenario again and again. It was wonderful. Though it was dark on the outside there was a little light that got kindled inside my head from some of my physics classes from the school days. I am sure it was lightning that was happening but at a very controlled and a smaller scale. A scale which couldn't harm me but still could give me nice experience. I thought of shouting "Eureka Eureka" but it was already late in the night and every one at home was sleeping. I was happy to witness this scene and silently being part of it. Oh yeah, I did switch off the TV mains after moving my hand through out the screen and discharging all the charges.

I was thinking of starting a blog from a past few days and thought this could be the nice experience to share and start with. So here I am penning down the same with excitement.

Comments (6)

Awesome article to start your blog with Sham! Welcome to the blogosphere :)

While you were thinking of an Eureka shout, Michael Faraday would have come in search of you to see a possibility of magnetic induction!

Wishing you all the very best with your blog.

Thanks Mohan

Welcome to the 'blogging' world Mr. Sham! A nice one to start with, indeed! Hope you will entertain us with many more! Cheers!

Thanks Maria. I would definitely try my best.

Hey awesome article!!! It's short but still conveys your excitement so well. I could completely imagine the entire thing you must have witnessed. Kudos!!

Thanks Milana. Nice to have your comments. Really appreciate it. Also thanks for promoting this blog in Indivine!!!

Post a Comment